Saturday, October 24, 2009

FreshAir@Poplie.eu


FreshAir@poplie.eu

Friday 16/10/2009

Tracklist

The Easybeats - Friday On My Mind
John Miles - Stranger In The City
Violens - Doomed
Girls - Laura
The View - Distant Doubloon
Adorable - Sunshine Smile
Mumford & Sons - Feel The Tide
Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - Dance The Way I Feel
Miike Snow - Animal
Tegan & Sara - On Directing
stellastar* - Freak Out
Editors - French Disko (Stereolab cover)
Jay Reatard - It Ain't Gonna Save Me
Director - Play Pretend
Piano Magic - March Of The Atheists
Bill Callahan - Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Mt. St Helens Vietnam Band - On The Collar
Brett Anderson - Frozen Roads
Dream City Film Club - If I Die I Die
Shrag - Hopelessly Wasted
Patrick Wolf - Damaris

The Gay Blades - Bob Dylan's 115th Nightmare
The Gay Blades - O Shot

(The Gay Blades choose and comment their favorite songs for the show)

Beck - Nicotine & Gravity
[Where are The Dust Brothers, right now? Where have they been?!?! Midnight Vultures is certainly my favorite Beck record, and this song was probably the first song that made me mad for Beck. He's such an engima. The man has zero personality outside of his music, its like he's only alive when he's creating, the rest of the time he stumbles through the world a diminutive sedated scientologist]

Brand New - Luca
[The band that will never be forgiven for its earlier sins. "Luca" is brilliant and beautifully eerie. Put your cool aside for one brief moment and listen to this tune and tell me its not near perfect. You can even tell your friends you listened by accident thinking it was some Mars Volta B-Side]

Elvis Costello - No Action
[Elvis Costello is my dad. He doesn't know it, and I'm not sure he cares to, but the fact of the matter is, I call him dad. He's absent most of the time, but he sure gives the kid some good advice and for a better role model, I wouldn't dare to ask. Dope drums on this track]

Bjork - It's So Quiet
[I first heard Bjork when I was ill prepared to deal with her mad genius. This song helped me understand Bjork and contextualize her as an artist so I could appreciate some of the more ambitious sonic stuff of hers. She's amazing huh? Oh! Have you seen the video for this?!!? Go find it]

David Bowie - Five Years
[My brain hurts a lot. Bingo Ziggy. Bingo]

The Beatles - Girl
[John Lennon's voice is pleadingly perfect here, isn't it? The song structure is weird and fun and cool and coupled with the recording - dry and brittle - this song is sexy and sad. An amazing combination by any standard]

The Gay Blades - Prologue For The Pure Of Heart

FreshAir@Poplie.eu (23/10/09)

No comments: